Laptop as a server?

Gary Nichols gary@linuxchimp.com
Thu, 11 Jan 2001 00:21:00 -0700

I helped a client of mine set up this exact scenerio about a year or so ago.
He was running a Toshiba laptop with two pcmcia network cards... one going
to broadband, the other to his inside lan.  I setup dhcpd, bind, sendmail,
apache and ip firewalling on it... and it's been running ever since.  No
reported heat problems, and virtually no down time (aside from power outages
and such).

It can be done... just make sure that your laptop doesn't have heating
problems.  It would probably behoove you to go with der.hans's suggestion of
an old PC with some ram though.  Should a hardware component fail, you can
just run to fry's. :))

~ ciao ~
Gary Nichols  RHCE        gary@neoplanet.com
Network Operations Mgr       NeoPlanet, Inc.
http://www.neoplanet.com     Penguin Powered