GDB and debugging techniques

Eden Li eden.li@asu.edu
Sat, 10 Feb 2001 08:14:14 -0700

I find it is just best to read `man gdb` and start debugging.  GDB has
an intuitive interface after you learn it.  You might run into problems
here and there while running in X, but it's still a very handy tool.  I
tried DDD and wasn't impressed.  GDB is a lot easier to navigate.

The basic idea of debugging for me is to step through code and view
variable values at certain lines of code to make sure that it's doing
what I want it to do.  If it segfaults, just run a ``bt'' (backtrace)
to see which function is the culprit.  It's a little more involved than
that, but once you start using GDB, you'll pick it up pronto.

Eden