Network Engineer

George Toft plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 19 Aug 2001 15:25:01 -0700

When I was a CS student in 1978, the going starting salary for a
programmer was $20-25K/year.  At an average of 8.5% inflation from
1978-2000, that salary should have increased by a factor of 2.5, which
is $54-63K (using rule of 72).  I see average salaries lower than that
for experienced programmers, so actually, our salaries are not in
keeping
with inflation.  The only benefit we've seen lately is that of market
dynamics, where the supply was weak, and the demand was strong.  Now
we are undergoing a "correction."

Not that I'm a programmer now, but I was at one time.

George