System Clock and Hardware Clock

Thomas Mondoshawan Tate plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 15 Aug 2001 22:24:18 -0700

--5xSkJheCpeK0RUEJ

On Wed, Aug 15, 2001 at 09:54:15PM -0700, John (EBo) David wrote:
> chris@uhduh.com wrote:
> >=20
> > With regards to an internet server, what should you set your system
> > clock (local time) and hardware clock (bios or RTC) to?
> >=20
> >   I'm currently working on a web site which has logins and records login
> > times in the db. I feel both the db and internet server should be set to
> > UTC since that would be void of timezones and would be the most accurat=
e.
> >=20
> > Any comments would be appreciated!
>=20
> Chris
>=20
> I've gotten into the habbit of always setting the clocks to UTC.  Most
> OS's Undertand and can convert from UTC to local.  Since you are putting
> it in a DB, if you can gather info about client time zone, that might
> also be useful, but keeping everything in UTC simplifies everything
> IMHO.
>=20
>   EBo --

Oddball question about that, EBo: does Windoze 98/ME understand this? I'd
like to set my BIOS clock on my laptop (dual booting -- it's a Sony VAIO,
and a bunch of hardware features are only available to me under Windoze.
Otherwise, I'd be running pure Linux -- I hate Windoze ME) to UTC so that I
don't have to dink with it to change timezones, etc.

--=20
Thomas "Mondoshawan" Tate
phoenix@psy.ed.asu.edu
http://tank.dyndns.org/presence