System Clock and Hardware Clock

John (EBo) David plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 15 Aug 2001 21:54:15 -0700

chris@uhduh.com wrote:

> With regards to an internet server, what should you set your system
> clock (local time) and hardware clock (bios or RTC) to?
>
>   I'm currently working on a web site which has logins and records login
> times in the db. I feel both the db and internet server should be set to
> UTC since that would be void of timezones and would be the most accurate.
>
> Any comments would be appreciated!

Chris

I've gotten into the habbit of always setting the clocks to UTC.  Most
OS's Undertand and can convert from UTC to local.  Since you are putting
it in a DB, if you can gather info about client time zone, that might
also be useful, but keeping everything in UTC simplifies everything
IMHO.

  EBo --