Freesco firewall, PPPoE and ssh

Wayne Conrad plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
31 Jul 2001 22:08:07 -0700

On Tue, 31 July 2001, Alan Dayley wrote:
> 1-My internet connection is PPPoE over DSL.  I don't have a fixed IP.  Can
> Freesco do PPPoE

http://lists.q-linux.com/pipermail/plug/2001-June/006335.html says:

"Freesco does not support PPoE officially but
the setup files are in ftp://www.tecknojunky.com/pub/pppoe4freesco/
Just grab all the files there and along with the
latest .27 version from www.freesco.org, one can have
a diskette router-based PPoE with ipchains,
masquerade, dial-in ppp server etc. Coyote Linux also
supports ADSL/PPoE.  Just search their docs and forums
for DSL inquiries."

So the answer appears to be Yes, but not out of the box.

> and dynamic IP?

Yes.

> 2-The Freesco docs say it supports telnet.  That's good but I don't want
> telnet on my firewall, except maybe on the internal connection.  Can Freesco
> do ssh so I can get on it from an external connection?

You can configure the telnet server so it only appears on your internal interface and is blocked from the external interface.  No ssh support that I know of.  What I do when I want to mess with the firewall from outside is to ssh to one of the boxes behind my firewall (I configure freesco to let ssh through to the web server) and then telnet back to the firewall from there.

  Wayne Conrad