Freesco firewall, PPPoE and ssh

Alan Dayley plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 31 Jul 2001 20:06:43 -0700

I have inherited a nice little 386 computer that I though I could use to free
up a more powerfull computer I am currently using as my firewall.  I have
looked around and seen recent recommendations on this list for Freesco so I
thought I would try it.  Before I do I have two questions that I haven't
found answers for online:

1-My internet connection is PPPoE over DSL.  I don't have a fixed IP.  Can
Freesco do PPPoE and dynamic IP?

2-The Freesco docs say it supports telnet.  That's good but I don't want
telnet on my firewall, except maybe on the internal connection.  Can Freesco
do ssh so I can get on it from an external connection?

A negative answer to either of these will disqualify Freesco for my needs.
If that is the case, I will need to find an alternative firewall setup that
can run on a 386.  Any recommendations?

Alan