Database holy war

Brian Cluff plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 23 Apr 2001 19:00:51 -0700

> MySQL is definitely the way to go for small personal use databases, but
since it
> does have a 2GB limit per table can make larger databases impossible, but
using
> it can give you a basis on standard SQL syntax for moving on to the bigger
guys
> that you probably couldn't afford as a personal/small business user.

That wasn't a MySQL limit, it was a filesystem limit, and if you run a 2.4
kernel, that is no longer a problem.  Also MySQL has a raid table option
that will allow you to break your table files up so they aren't as big, and
you can spread them across sevral devices if you want.

For all the postgres people:
MySQL also does transactions, replication, row level locking.. etc etc   you
know all the things that people said "dont use MySQL... it doesn't do bla
bla"
The only thing that it doesn't do for me now that I would really like is
subqueries, but if you check the todo list, that is the top priority right
now... so very soon :)

Brian Cluff