USB CD-R/RW

Paul Dickson plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 11 Apr 2001 00:58:51 -0700

On Sun, 8 Apr 2001 20:12:46 -0700, Craig White wrote:

> Does anyone have a USB CD-R/RW working on their linux box? It's a
> non-essential thing, I can burn CD's with Windows or Macintosh but it
> connected, lspci sees the USB port but claims there's no device driver for
> the CD. QPS (Que) offers nothing for linux on their web site. Freshmeat
> didn't direct me to anything that looked solid enough so I thought I would
> ask.

What Linux kernel?

There's experimental support for such devices in 2.2.18 kernel.  I was able
to install Railroad Tycoon II from USB CD-RW without trouble.  But a day
later, then I attempted to install Applixware the filesystem crashed, with
the system locking up shortly afterward.  The price of experimental software.

The option you need is "USB Mass Storage support (EXPERIMENTAL)".

	-Paul