Screen Doesn't Clear After Logout

sinck@ugive.com sinck@ugive.com
Sun, 29 Oct 2000 19:52:08 -0700

\_ My screen doesn't clear after logging out on a virtual terminal.
\_ Instead of clearing and then printing the login, it prints the login
\_ immediately, leaving portions of my session on-screen.
\_
\_ This wasn't happening until I put the following line in my
\_ .bash_profile:
\_
\_ "exec ssh-agent bash"

So, if you log into multiple virtual terms, you've going to have
multiple ssh-agents running?  That may be what you intend, but me, one
would be enough.  :-)

I've almost hard baked the logic that attaches to a running ssh-agent
on login, or fires it automatically if it's not around.

\_ (without the quotes).  I did this so that I could use ssh-agent
\_ without having to start it each time.
\_
\_ How do I fix it so that the screen clears after logout?

In csh and derivatives, it has support for a .logout that will do
amusing things.  There is likely a central file under /etc/ someplace
that controls that.  In bash, ..., dunno.  I don't use bash because I
got tcsh'd at an impressionable age.

I really need to switch to bash and debian, but, I'll be weak for a
bit more.  :-)

My favorite system wide .logout functionality was wriiten by a guy
from ASU (Hi, Alex, if you're still in the valley) wherein finer ascii
art would render a Klingon cruiser decloaking, firing, blamo!

Login:

It took me several probes on the p90 system of the time to actually
see more than a flash of the warbird and the boom.  Ascii art just
isn't the same at high speeds.  *sigh*

David
off to look for elder Twilight Zone ascii animation....