How to collect system information?

foodog@qwest.net foodog@qwest.net
Wed, 25 Oct 2000 21:37:19 -0700

I'm applying to beta test Freedom for Linux and am
momentarily stumped
about how to get accurate answers for the following
questions (browsing
through the CD I installed from would be cheating - Redhat
6.2, BTW).  Can anyone shed like on determining:

     8.What version is your X-Windows software (e.g. v.
3.3.6)?

     9.What Window manager are you running?

     10.What version is your Window manager?

     11.What desktop manager are you using (if any)?

     12.What version is your desktop manager?

Suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thx!

  In case someone's wondering what "Freedom" is, it's
privacy software
(currently  Windows-only) and they've just announced that
they're
releasing their source code, starting with the Linux beta.
Here are a
couple of related links - a news story and the beta
application page:

http://www.montrealgazette.com/technology/pages/001024/4741252.html

http://www.freedom.net/download/betatesters.html

FWIW, it occurs to me that once they release the source for
the server,
Freedom could make a dandy idiot-tolerant VPN.  Run a server
at work,
run the client at home.
Steve
--