capslock

Jason jkenner@mindspring.com
Mon, 23 Oct 2000 00:13:10 -0700

Eden Li wrote:

> Little confused why the guy who was originally complaining has his own
> site with the updates, but.. the mirrors are listed at
> http://www.redhat.com/download/mirror.html  Some of them are good, most
> of them are bad.  I'd suggest valinux, but recently the performance of
> these sites have improved, probably due to the vast majority of people
> who already obtained their 7.0 packages/isos from them within the last few
> weeks.
> (BTW, caps lock + vi + command mode + drunkeness == mayhem)
> Anyway, rpmfind.net is also a good place to look for specific updates as
> well.

Why the hell are keyboards even including a CAPS LOCK key these days?
It strikes me that its sole purpose was, back in the day,
compatibility with systems that didnt know what lowercase letters even
were (i.e. the original Apple 2 and Apple 2 plus ... the ones before
the Apple 2E, which also introduced fancy new features like UP and
DOWN arrow keys!)

Ive pried all the Winblows keys off of my keyboards, physically. Not
just because I run Linux either - I started doing this originally when
I had one Linux box with a keyboard that never had them, and one
Windows box.. the damned Windows keys are all too easy to hit
accidently, and then the start menu pops up and your current window
defocuses... very annoyoing! They actually arent a problem in Linux,
but I figured I would pry them off anyways, for purely spiritual
reasons :-)

Now I am looking at the caps lock key, and trying to remember the last
time I used it INTENTIONALLY. Its easier to just hold down shift with
a pinkie when I type in all caps anyways...

Maybe its a key for people who's fingers arent long enough that they
can depress both shift keys easily with the same hand?? Heheh..

--
jkenner @ mindspring . com__
I Support Linux:           _> _  _ |_  _  _     _|