network problem update

Mike Starke mgcon@neta.com
Thu, 16 Mar 2000 19:48:16 -0700 (MST)

First of all, to answer someone's question as to why
I would masq. to private nets......Lack of data drops.
We have a lot of engineers, and A LOT of pc's laying
around. We manufacturer docks for laptops, and do much testing.
If I only have two drops to the area, the engineer gets one for
his workstation, and the other is assigned to a linux box w/2nics
Now we can run another network off of a couple of hubs, and don't
have to worry about "polluting" the rest of our network. I have
since run into a case where we need to log into the nt domain server.
Long winded, but there it is.

To be perfectly honest, I never thought about SMB being an issue.
I figured since ping, telnet, blah, blah was able to go from
192.168.3.0/24 -> 102.168.2.0/24 -> internet,
dumb me just
thought loggin into the domain would be just as simple.

At first I thought it was a routing problem, but hello, ping worked.
I suppose I am going to have to look into a Wins solution. The nt server
that we are trying to log into also doubles as the wins server for
192.168.2.0/24  I have also put those settings into the win9x machines
on the 192.168.3.0/24 pc's

no big hurry on this, i just wanted to get it resolved.  My next post
is a bit more important as I'm having problems w/ezmlm&qmail not playing
together.

Mike
mgcon@getnet.com
http://www.getnet.com/~mgcon