Phoenix DSL HOW-TO?

J. Francois jlf@magusnet.gilbert.az.us
Tue, 14 Mar 2000 21:43:26 -0700

I am doing DSL so let me take a stab at this.
Since this was posted as one single line I will have to break this up.

It seems like on Tue, Mar 14, 2000 at 07:48:19PM -0700, Lucas Vogel scribbled:
Orig Msg> While we're on the topic of modems & such I'd like to ask a question. I've been an avid cox@home user for the last year or so now, but am now moving out of my apt. and while I'm almost certain I'll be able to retain my account when I move, I was wondering what the associated costs, benefits/downsides, and other such information people have on using the DSL services available in the area.

Costs: Not much difference ( see below ).

Benefits: Not on a shared network segment prone to sniffing.
          Dedicated bandwidth.

Disadvantages: Relative speeds ususally cost more on DSL vs. Cable
               for businesses. Not sure about residential but it
               should be competitive.

 What kind of hardware do I have to purchase? Do I have to have a second phone line? <baited question> who are some of the better ISPs who offer DSL services, and what are the going monthly rates?

You need a DSL router which would replace the Cable Modem.
You don't need a second phone line. The DSL circuit uses one pair and
your phone uses the other pair in a standard phone line installation.
See WiredGlobal ( Hi Jay! ) for service. I am a happy business customer.
No, he doesn't pay me for recommendations.

http://www.wiredglobal.net/

Orig Msg> Thanks guys
Orig Msg>
Orig Msg> Lucas Vogel

You are welcome.

Jean Francois Sends...
President & CEO MagusNet, Inc.
MagusNet.com, MagusNet.Gilbert.AZ.US
CTO EBIZ Enterprises, Inc.
TheLinuxStore.com, TheLinuxLab.com, LinuxWired.net
480-778-1120 - Office
602-770-JLF1 - Cellular