I, idiotus....

Shawn T. Rutledge rutledge@cx47646-a.phnx1.az.home.com
Mon, 17 Jul 2000 22:31:36 -0700

On Mon, Jul 17, 2000 at 08:56:36AM -0700, Tim Weaver wrote:
> However, I am an idiot.  I have been trying to get the Linux Router Project
> download on a floppy.  I have tried several LRP-related sites, including the
> Linuxrouter.org site.  I was looking for the superidiot image disk (go
> figure...) so I can install and run a Linux firewall and gateway/router on
> our home network.  The machine I have has only an 800 mb harddrive and it

That's plenty of hard drive for most distros if you leave out big
stuff you won't need.  If your network connection is at all slow,
you would benefit by using as much of that space as possible for a
squid cache.  LRP is meant for floppy-only systems; you wouldn't
be using your system to its full potential that way.

> would take the Netmax firewall program, but I could install Mandrake 7.0
> with no problems.  My knowledge isn't up to picking and choosing packages
> since I am sure I'll leave some dependency out and muck the whole thing up
> (not that I am not practiced at installs by now...).

Well package management systems are supposed to prevent you omitting
dependencies.  Anyway, if you manage to omit something, you'll find out
eventually and then you can install it, and you'll have learned something
in the process.  Noting to be afraid of.

> SO, I tried to download an LRP image to my main systems harddrive then write
> to a 1.44 floppy
> using rawrite (for Windows and in Dos).  Both times I couldn't' write to the
> disk.  It's a new floppy which formats fine, but I will admit I was
> frustrated enough not to try another floppy.

This method of creating boot disks is very picky about quality of
the disk.  When I try to recycle old disks, I'll often go through half
a dozen of them before I find one that works.  Even brand-new disks
don't always work, but they work more often than old ones.  You just
have to keep trying until you find one that works.

> My biggest frustration is when I need to create an image of a program or
> distribution (I tried imaging Debian and got nothing but a string of 1's and
> 0's upon booting the CR).  I just have no clue what I am doing.

I've seen that.  If rawrite didn't succeed, that can certainly happen.

--
  _______                   Shawn T. Rutledge / KB7PWD  ecloud@bigfoot.com
 (_  | |_)          http://www.bigfoot.com/~ecloud  kb7pwd@kb7pwd.ampr.org