Package management vs. ./configure

jiva@devware.com jiva@devware.com
Sat, 8 Jul 2000 16:39:23 -0700

It's true that RPMs or DEBs are *not* for the clueless, but they were
never intended to be.  The purpose of RPM or DEB is convenience for
clueful system administrators to be able to easily administer many
machines without having to worry about different software
configurations on them.  Meaning, on any RedHat box, I can do an rpm
-qa | grep -i packagename and find out if that package is installed or
not.  Yes, you can do similar with locate, but what if you don't know
the filenames that might be included in a particular package?  Or,
what if the filenames are similar enough to a thousand other packages
that you get back 3 MB of results?

RPM also automagically checks for dependant software when you install
an RPM.  It also checks the version of that dependant software.  AND
it also checks it when you UNinstall too.  Ie: what if I am deleting
my gnome software, then I go and run gnorpm, and BOOM it breaks!
Well, RPM would have warned me when I went to uninstall gnome.

Yours is clearly a situation of garbage-in, garbage-out.  Obviously,
if you're not going to use RPMs for everything, you are going to have
RPM complain about things not being installed.  The answer?  Learn how
to build RPMs for .spec files if you absolutely must have the latest
greatest or a custom build.