New business startup help/suggestions/info needed

Michael Dearman mdearman@inficad.com
Sun, 27 Aug 2000 03:03:19 -0700

Lucas Vogel wrote:

> Another thing to remember I think is what you charge. If I didn't have a
> computer I could easily go down to the library and access the internet from
> there for free. Granted,  may not be on there for as long as I'd like to,
> but I could get what I needed done and be on my way.
>
> Maybe you should think about setting up a cybercafe for gamers. Put together
> a good LAN w/good computers(I don't game so I know nothing about the
> requirements), license about a dozen good games, and offer it as a kind of
> alternative arcade. Given the popularity of gaming I'd say this is far more
> marketable than a cybercafe.

I've always thought that there might be something to combining a restaurant
with
gaming. This could also help with the funding if you could find an
adventuresome
entrepreneur (sp?). For it to work properly/ideally, the best bet is to
find
someone planning on building a new restaurant. It would be much easier to
install
the needed hardware from ground up. But also, the actual architecture of
the building
would need some tweaking, for optimum affect. For example:

Some large restaurants have large rooms for private gorging. Often these
rooms don't
have any specific theme - just the theme of the restaurant. But some do
have different
themes for different rooms. That's the ticket.

1. The D&D, Mudders hall. Dark, low beams, large clunky tables and chairs.
Could even
   have the waiters/barmaids dress accordingly. Could even have special
menu items to
   conform to the setting - a large roast beef with veggies on a platter, a
hunk of bread,
   bring your own knife.

2. The Quack room. Well, you think what that might look and feel like.

3. Mech Warrior or whatever.

Now, realistically you wouldn't or couldn't have a particular theme for
every gaming
situation out there. But a style could serve multiple gaming scenarios.
Also,
the different theme rooms could just as well serve regular diners. Might
even be big
plus. Something different.

But there are some concerns that up the overhead involved.

You'd probably want to plan for a different entrance for these groups.
There will probably
will be a need for extra prep work for a group. Maybe legal stuff to sign
off, communicating rules, etc.
Best to separate this activity.

Extra staff my be needed for keeping an eye on the groups. This may call
for both, an eye
on the physical room (alcohol to minors, drugs, ritual sacrifices...) - but
might also involve
some kind of net watch. In fact, there may be enough need, that an ISP
alliance might be a good thing.
Heck, the GameMaster/ISP could get some spin off publicity and/or work. Set
up webpages for a tribe,
or teach them how.

These areas, since they're wired, could also be a great place to hold
seminars and courses.

Of course, this can be scaled down and even retrofitted into an existing
situation. But I don't
think you can attain the needed 'threshold of impact' that's needed to make
something different
actually work, or at least fail with a bigger splash ;-). But half-way
efforts would seem 'Doomed'.

But then, folks thinking of building a restaurant know there taking on one
the riskiest business
ventures out there. Well, until the Net and e-commerce came along.

Mike D.