kernel 1.3.x - /dev/modem

James Amendolagine amendola@altavista.net
Mon, 10 Apr 2000 23:32:05 -0700

Jason Brown wrote:

> I am assuming you are using the 2.3.x kernel, and the device name have changed
> from /dev/cua1 to /dev/ttyS1 as an example.  The 2.2.xx kernels have some
> backwards compatibility with the device names, but the 2.3 kernels may not.
> You may want to give the ttyS naming scheme a try.

Thanks, it turns out that I had an IRQ conflict. My pcmcia card was grabing irq3
away from my modem. I edited the /pcmcia/config.opts file and restricted the
pcmcia from using irq 3 and 4.

This should have been a little more obvious to me. I guess I'm getting a little
tired of configuring:)

Now the modem works fine, but it's having problems starting up pppd. -- can't
find the ppp0 interface. I got the lastest pppd, but the same error comes up when
I run kppp. --I have build a kernel with all of the ppp suport built
in....            Hmmm. Oh well, more configuring

Jamie