[PLUG-Devel] Qontacts!

Tuna tuna at supertunaman.com
Mon Jan 7 20:27:22 MST 2008

So I had this book lying around, "A Beginner's Guide to Gambas". I
wanted something that I could apply what I'm learning in my VB class to.
So I picked up the book, flipped through the pages, and found a nice
little address book-type program.

So I followed the tutorial, having to fix a couple bugs along the way
that the author neglected. I finished the program, and realized it was
pretty bad. It was impossible to know which buttons did what as there
were no labels, tooltips or a help dialog. The "Search Contacts" dialog
popped up as soon as you clicked anywhere on the form. So if you click
the Quit button, it pops up. The "Delete a contact"  feature didn't
delete contacts, but rather just changed the name on the contact to
<Record Deleted>. Apparently this was supposed to be a feature as "the
user can use this space for another contact!"

So I fixed it. I made it so that when you first launch the program, a
little dialog pops up telling you what the buttons do. I moved the
search feature from a form_click() subroutine to a SearchBtn_click()
subroutine. I made it so that when you click "Save", it wouldn't save
contacts with "<Record Deleted>" in their names. That way, when the file
was reopened, that contact would not be there.

I decided that I had changed the program enough that I could
redistribute it. So I called it Qontacts because it uses the QT toolkit.
I put it on Softpedia just this morning, and it has four downloads
already! :D I mean, that's not a whole lot, but 4 > 0 :).

http://linux.softpedia.com/get/Utilities/Qontacts-33910.shtml

There's the URL. If you have the Gambas2 runtime, please download
Qontacts and tell me what you think of it!