[PLUG-Devel] Convert to mulitple Bugzilla databases?

Austin Godber godber at uberhip.com
Thu Nov 8 12:31:44 MST 2007

Alan Dayley wrote:
> Something for the experienced Bugzilla administrators...
>
> We have Bugzilla up and running for Engineering.  A much better tool for
> our environment than what we were using.
>
> Now the request has come down from the IT people that they want to use
> Bugzilla to track their issues.  Fine.  Then Quality said they to track
> their issues with Bugzilla too.  Good.
>
> We don't want to mix IT and Quality issues in with Engineering.  The
> majority of issues between the three will not overlap.  Crossovers will
> be manually ported as occasionally needed.  So we need two more
> instances of Bugzilla databases.
>
> This page http://www.bugzilla.org/docs/3.0/html/multiple-bz-dbs.html
> explains how to configure one installation of Bugzilla to use multiple
> databases.  It explains it in the context of the initial installation.
> So it raises some questions for me.
>
> The page describes exporting 'PROJECT=foo' before running checksetup.pl
> for the first time.  We did not do that with our now running single
> instance.
>
> 1. Can we go back and do this checksetup.pl process to initialize a new
> database after the fact?
>
> 2. How does the current database that does *not* need the 'PROJECT'
> environment variable co-exist with a new database or two that *needs*
> the environment variable?  In other words, do I need to convert the
> current database to require a 'PROJECT' environment variable too?  If
> so, how do I do that?
>
> After that, I'll probably have questions about the Apache virtual host
> setup for each instance but I'll save that for the next round of questions.
>
> Alan

It may be a little too costly* (in RAM and IP address terms) but next
week we are launching our JumpBox Proving Grounds (Beta program) with
many new apps, including Bugzilla.  If you want to try it, let me know
Alan, and I will send you an invite to the beta program when its live.
Same thing goes for anyone else here.

Sadly the Bugzilla JumpBox doesn't do multi-db bugzilla either.  Though
that is the kind of thing we will eventually start doing.

Austin

* Looking at things in terms of whole machines simplifies administration
a bit, but dedicating 256MB of RAM for each App you want may be too high.