[PLUG-Devel] Convert to mulitple Bugzilla databases?

Alan Dayley alandd at consultpros.com
Thu Nov 8 11:39:06 MST 2007

Something for the experienced Bugzilla administrators...

We have Bugzilla up and running for Engineering.  A much better tool for
our environment than what we were using.

Now the request has come down from the IT people that they want to use
Bugzilla to track their issues.  Fine.  Then Quality said they to track
their issues with Bugzilla too.  Good.

We don't want to mix IT and Quality issues in with Engineering.  The
majority of issues between the three will not overlap.  Crossovers will
be manually ported as occasionally needed.  So we need two more
instances of Bugzilla databases.

This page http://www.bugzilla.org/docs/3.0/html/multiple-bz-dbs.html
explains how to configure one installation of Bugzilla to use multiple
databases.  It explains it in the context of the initial installation.
So it raises some questions for me.

The page describes exporting 'PROJECT=foo' before running checksetup.pl
for the first time.  We did not do that with our now running single
instance.

1. Can we go back and do this checksetup.pl process to initialize a new
database after the fact?

2. How does the current database that does *not* need the 'PROJECT'
environment variable co-exist with a new database or two that *needs*
the environment variable?  In other words, do I need to convert the
current database to require a 'PROJECT' environment variable too?  If
so, how do I do that?

After that, I'll probably have questions about the Apache virtual host
setup for each instance but I'll save that for the next round of questions.