Website project feedback

Alan Dayley alandd at consultpros.com
Tue Nov 22 15:22:38 MST 2005

I am curious about how you all are percieving this website project.  While
I did not expect a great many to spend large amounts of time on it, I had
hoped for more participation than has happened so far.

Let me first say that this is not a complaint about the input and work
done so far.  Some very good help and insight has been offered and given
by this group as we setup the new site.  I also understand that we all
have lives (I would hope!) and priorities with time are different with
anyone.

In short, I am not trying to throw guilt trips on anyone, whether you have
helped or not.  I am glad you are here in the list.

What I want to know is how I am doing and how might this effort be run
differently.  What triggered this is the luke warm activity both here and
from the group in general:
- Minimal response illicited my call to get some Section Publishers.  Two
respondants and silence.
- Since launch only 26 people have registered.
- One article has been submitted by someone other than me, and that was
provided to me in person so I still was the one to post it.
- One calendar submission other than me.

I envisioned a core group (8-10 people) actively handling a vibrant
community site.  This does not seem realistic to me now.

So, please discuss your thoughts on these questions or any other points
you want to bring up:

Is the group website really just a one or two person operation?

Is it referenced just for group specific information (events, calendar,
etc.) and wanting more, like Getting Started reference material, etc. too
much to ask?

Or, given the extensive online Linux/FS/OSS information already out there,
creating such for our site is not worth it or not needed?

Is a moderated CMS like Joomla! too information restrictive?

Is there something to do to get more participation, both from users and
admins?

Or, is it good enough and I should calm down and just let the natural
demand determine the utility and activity of the site?

All thoughts welcome.