Possible F/OSS project at my school district

Erik Bixby plug-devel@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Thu Jun 2 07:58:02 2005

If I am not mistaken, the current system is some version of Coldfusion
running on top of Windows NT 4.0 attaching to a NetWare 5.1 server for
the database.  I don't know what database engine they're using.=20
Again, I'm just the network guy.  I'm working on a large project
(we're replacing the vast majority of the network [>400 switches]) and
I am too busy to do proper research, myself.  For that, I apologize.

Coldfusion is the platform choice, I believe, because that's what the
decision maker is familiar with.  And, he has a friend in another
state using Coldfusion with PostgreSQL on top of Linux.  So, he knows
it's capable of doing what he wants.  There was some talk of PHP.  Not
being familiar with Coldfusion, I have no way of knowing how it
compares with PHP.  Not that I am a PHP jockey either, but I am
somewhat familiar with it...

Thank you for your thoughtful response, Randy.  I would tend to
gravitate towards SuSE, because that's probably the distro I am most
familiar with.
-Erik