The project

plug-devel@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us plug-devel@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Thu Feb 24 13:43:02 2005

With regard to event planning being a large market (not niche) I must agree,
further more if your develop a reasonable interface and generic ERM/P
functionality then templates for various events could be developed to take
care of a broader range of events.  ie, a template set for Installfests, and
another set for Fundraising events, and onather set for weedings, and yet
another set for funerals.  If you use a standerd object plan you could creat
XML templates that genorate the template event, ready for modification.

With regard to language, it should not be an issue at this point.  We as
developers should come up with the requirements and architecture that meets
those requirements and then choice a language that fits.  I personally feel
JAVA is a fine choice, and while PHP interpreters exist on multiply platforms
JAVA is far more standard (when was the last time you walked up to a windows
machine that was Python or Pearl ready?)   In  addition, you can always plug
other Language modules rite into it.  I have occasion to use a hand full of
PHP and C++ modules in Java, just check platform choice mod and plug in.  So
nice :)

But it may be after the design aspect is done that another language provides a
cleaner path to product…  but it is a decision that should wait until much
later in the design.

Also I really have not found any other product that meets the ongoing concerns
of event planning and management…  There are many things I would like to see
in these products that just are not their, so if there is a core group willing
to proceed with a project, I for one see a really benefit to home grown in
this case.