The project

Alan Dayley plug-devel@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Thu Feb 24 05:23:02 2005

Joseph is the guy spearheading the project right now.  I'll just bring it=20
up here like I brought it up at the last Devel meeting.  Then, as Joseph=20
planned, we can proceed with the discussion.

History

When the Devel meetings were first started, one of the stated wishes was=20
that projects would grow out of the group.  Ideas for doing applications=20
for education, both testing and administration were the strongest=20
candidates along with a brief discussion about a game.  None of these=20
took hold.

Prior to Alex setting up monthly InstallFests (yea Alex!), PLUG used to do=
=20
big InstallFests about once a year, give or take.  These were 6-8 hour=20
affairs on a Saturday and included vendor tables, demos and presentations=20
along with doing installs.  The largest I remember was at GCC with more=20
than 200 people stopping by.  In doing these larger events we kept=20
re-inventing the wheel of organization.  Whoever was doing the main work=20
would use whatever means to match volunteers, presenters, equipment, etc.=20
to the needs of the event.  Spreadsheets and databases were created and=20
then lost to the world after the event was over.

The Idea

=46rom this experience with InstallFests, a few members thought a great=20
project would be to make an application suite to handle all the=20
coordination needs of an InstallFest.  Released under the GPL, it could=20
benefit FS groups everywhere.  Then, allowing the dream to grow, we=20
thought this could be adapted to coordinate any event, all the way up to=20
conferences and trade shows.  So, the event application suite idea was=20
born.  And, it simmered in a few brains too busy to do much about it.

Last Meeting

The last Devel Meeting found us without a specific presentation.  I sprung=
=20
this history and idea on the members present.  An excellent discussion=20
ensued.  Some present had experience working with event planners and many=20
had experience doing database applications with different tools.  I'll=20
just do some summary bullets about some of the points I remember:
=2D Event planners currently are a small, niche industry.
=2D Because the industry is small, there are not any known (at least to the=
=20
group present) commercial applications for doing the planning.  Those=20
doing it use spreadsheets and custom Access apps and the like.
=2D Development of the application would probably proceed as follows:
=2D- Support for monthly small InstallFest
=2D- Then large InstallFest
=2D- Then large event (type to be chosen later)
=2D An open source application was found on freshmeat.  (Ed, I can't find=20
it!)  It has a BSD-style license with a "no commercial use" clause.  We=20
don't think that fits what the group wants.
=2D Possible platforms were discussed
=2D- Java
=2D- GNUe
=2D- other web based tools like PHP
=2D- To be decided after requirements are pinned down
=2D Joseph took on the task of being the first leader of the project.

Intent and State

The intent is to run it like a real project (since it is real) and do a=20
requirements document, design, technology selection, etc. before the=20
coding starts.  Joseph and a core team can meet when they want and=20
provide progress briefings at the meetings.  Some Devel Meetings may be=20
dedicated to working on the project as a means of getting work done and=20
teaching whatever techniques are currently being used.

I have stepped back and would love to see several (many?) group members=20
step up and participate as each would like.  Joseph has the reigns now=20
and can proceed as he and the group see fit.  Even if we end up with the=20
minimum, something the coordinate InstallFests, we should be learning=20
much along the way.

There.  Any questions?

Alan