Programming Mentors?

Scott Gonyea atrus at aitrus.org
Fri Aug 19 09:16:14 MST 2005

Hi,

I'm a self-taught programmer, and I am very good at motivating
myself.  However, a road block that I run into (on repeat) is the
lack of any direction or knowing how to pursue programming,
professionally.

I'm wondering if there are any sort of "mentorships" that people
would be willing to offer.  Whether it's professionally or on just a
side project, I would not ask for money.  Only a little direction and
encouragement.  I can write code or put together well-thought out,
and well-designed documentation.

Is this possible?  Do people offer this?  I've worked on the .NET
Framework (as well as WinCE embedded devices), Win32 and Linux (x86)
ASM, and just about everything in between (including C/C++), for both
Linux, FreeBSD and (lately) Mac OS X.  I'm well versed, and I learn
exceptionally fast.

I want to take what I know, and give it the experience it lacks.  I
sincerely hope this is appropriate for this mailing list, and if not
then I apologize, deeply.

Regards,
Scott Gonyea
sgonyea at mac.com