Mega-Installfest Sub-Domain Lists [was] Installfest Research

Trent Shipley plug-devel@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Tue Apr 5 12:58:02 2005

On Tuesday 2005-04-05 06:22, Trent Shipley wrote:
> On Thursday 2005-03-31 23:23, Bryan.ONeal@asu.edu wrote:
> > Quoting Trent Shipley <tshipley@deru.com>:
> > > There is still the possibility that ASULUG, with its greater interest
> > > in
> > >
> > > Mega-Installfests, would have more interest in Devel Project's
> > > services. If
> > > so, then we would still have a first client for an Event Software
> > > Integration
> > > Project. ASULUG's next meeting is 23 April (I am told).  I hope to ha=
ve
> > > more
> > > after that.
> >
> > ASULUG's Mega Install fest is still quite interested in being an EPP/PEP
> > =93client=94,
>
> I'm MUCH less comfortable with Event Planning as a summation of the
> project. As I go into it further I have trouble finding a central theme.=
=20
> Events seem like bunches of stuff, and that lack of a "clean" domain may =
be
> why there is no "killer application".
>
> For now I am thinking of this proposal as "Event Software Integration".

(Let me know if I should send Alan the OO.o version)

Mega-Installfest Sub-Domain Lists

 1 Participant types (each generates paper work)
 1.1 end consumer
 1.1.1 attender, information seeker
 1.1.2 help-desk consumer
 1.1.2.1 private citizen
 1.1.2.2 charity
 1.1.2.3 business
 1.2  private volunteer
 1.2.1 support services
 1.2.1.1 Marketing
 1.2.1.1.1 Graphic artist
 1.2.1.1.2 Printer
 1.2.1.1.3 Flier distributors
 1.2.1.2 Sales (Sponsor/Underwriter recruiter)
 1.2.1.3 Sign planner maker (eg Linux Installfest THIS way)
 1.2.2 machine system services
 1.2.2.1 Networking
 1.2.2.2 SysAdmin
 1.2.3 IT consultant
 1.2.4 installer/trouble shooter
 1.2.5 trainer
 1.2.6 demonstrator
 1.2.7 presenter
 1.3 government sponsor
 1.4 charitable sponsor
 1.5 commercial|quasi-commercial sponsor/underwriter (quasi-commercial=20
example: Army Recruiting shows off toys.)
 1.6 commercial vendor
 1.7 beneficiary (eg "all proceeds go to ...")
 1.7.1 charitable
 1.7.2 government

 2 For each Installfest participant collect demographic info

 3 For each "install" or other help instance
 3.1 collect help-desk ticket for install (from PLUG Installfest research)
 3.2 Route help-desk case and "paper work"
 3.3 waivers and other legal formalities
 3.3.1 collect
 3.3.2 verify
 3.4 document installee equipment (if any. some tickets may be for a busine=
ss=20
consult)
 3.5 document installee problem
 3.6 assign installer
 3.7 record installer(s), trainer(s), and so on.
 3.8 record actions taken (eg installed distro)
 3.9 record hitches (if any)
 3.10 record outcome.

 4 Inventory
 4.1 Human capital
 4.2 Consumables
 4.2.1 Giveaways
 4.2.1.1 CD/DVDs
 4.2.1.2  T-Shirts
 4.2.1.3 Computer parts
 4.2.1.4 Food
 4.2.2 Raffle/Sale
 4.2.2.1 T-shirts
 4.2.2.2 Mugs
 4.2.2.3 Books
 4.2.2.4 Food
 4.2.3 Informational handouts
 4.2.4 Teaching supplies
 4.3 Equipment
 4.4 Facilities
 4.5 Internal documentation
 4.5.1 Best installation practices
 4.5.2 Training materials (especially train the trainer)
 4.5.3 Mega-Installfest meta-documentation=20
 4.5.3.1 Applicable minutes
 4.5.3.2 Mega-Installfest checklists
 4.5.3.3 Workflow
 4.5.3.4 Best practices
 4.5.3.5 Guide to Mega-Installfest and Mega-Installfest documentation

 5 Marketing
 5.1 Website
 5.2 Press releases
 5.3 Fliers

 6 Manage inventory X functions and goals

 7 Finance
 7.1 Track government (University) contributions
 7.1.1 allocated
 7.1.2 expended
 7.1.3 returned|overdraft
 7.2 donations
 7.2.1 from what kind of participant
 7.2.1.1 in labor
 7.2.1.2 deductible
 7.2.1.2.1 in commercial service
 7.2.1.2.2 in kind
 7.2.1.2.3 cash or near cash
 7.3 Fees (from commercial vendors for booth space, seminar affiliation, et=
c.)
 7.4 Estimate on value of extension services supplied to the community.
 7.5 Estimate of knock-on effects (eg, Army Recuiters got 3 leads.)