Installfest Research

Trent Shipley plug-devel@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Tue Apr 5 04:55:04 2005

On Thursday 2005-03-31 23:23, Bryan.ONeal@asu.edu wrote:
> Quoting Trent Shipley <tshipley@deru.com>:
> > There is still the possibility that ASULUG, with its greater interest in
> >
> > Mega-Installfests, would have more interest in Devel Project's services.
> >  If
> > so, then we would still have a first client for an Event Software
> > Integration
> > Project. ASULUG's next meeting is 23 April (I am told).  I hope to have
> > more
> > after that.
>
> ASULUG's Mega Install fest is still quite interested in being an EPP/PEP
> =93client=94,

I'm MUCH less comfortable with Event Planning as a summation of the project.
As I go into it further I have trouble finding a central theme.  Events seem
like bunches of stuff, and that lack of a "clean" domain may be why there is
no "killer application".

=46or now I am thinking of this proposal as "Event Software Integration".

> I will work on a data model (maybe tomorrow night) and let you know

Bryan, did you ever get around to that data model?

If not it is no big deal.

I am more interested in
=2D- how many Mega-Installfests have been held by ASULUG
=2D- what artifacts have been produced (checklists, volunteer lists [especi=
ally
if they include functional titles], functions performed, meeting minutes,
flyers, artifacts from the event itself, and follow-up materials if any.)

(( The first effect of working on installfests may not be machine software
_per se_, but installfest process improvement.   As in, "in the future maybe
we should do a post mortem".))

In this context I am not familiar with 'instance' as a technical term.  I
assume you are using it to mean "an item" or "for each item or instance".

> and requires tracking of
> Users (instance) - Demographic info -Related to- Install instance, gifts
> (instance), etc=85
> Volunteers (instance) - Related to- Skills, Donations (instance),
> Presentations, Installs (instance), Equipment (Instance), etc=85.
> Equipment (instance)- Related to- Responsible volunteer, Purpose, etc=85
> Gifts=85
> Users computer as instance built from generals
> Distro's installed
> Apps installed
> Locations,
> Waivers, and other legal documents and contracts..
> Etc, etc, etc.

Rephrasing the above I get:

Participant types (each generates paper work)
=2D- end consumer
=2D--- attender, information seeker
=2D--- help-desk consumer
=2D----- private citizen
=2D----- charity
=2D----- business

=2D- private volunteer
=2D--- support services
=2D--- machine system services
=2D--- IT consultant
=2D--- installer/trouble shooter
=2D--- trainer
=2D--- demonstrator
=2D--- presenter

=2D- government sponsor

=2D- charitable sponsor

=2D- commercial|quasi-comercial sponsor/underwriter
(quasi-commercial example: Army Recruiting shows off toys.)

=2D- commercial vendor

=2D- beneficiary (eg "all proceeds go to ...")
=2D--- charitable
=2D--- government

=46or each individual Installfest consumer (that is, "attendee" or "install=
ee")
=2D- collect demographic info

=46or each "install" or other help instance
=2D- collect help-desk ticket for install (from PLUG Installfest research)
=2D- Route help-desk case and "paper work"
=2D--- waivers and other legal formalities
=2D----- collect
=2D----- verify
=2D--- installee equipment (if any. some tickets may be for a business cons=
ult)
=2D--- installee problem
=2D--- installer(s)
=2D--- actions taken (eg installed distro)
=2D--- hitches (if any)
=2D--- outcome.

=46inance:
=2D- Track government (University) contributions
=2D--- allocated
=2D--- expended
=2D--- returned|overdraft

=2D- donations
=2D--- from what kind of participant
=2D----- in labor
=2D----- deductible
=2D------- in commercial service
=2D------- in kind
=2D------- cash or near cash

=2D- Fees (from commercial vendors for booth space, seminar affiliation, et=
c.)

=2D- Estimate on value of extension services supplied to the community.
=2D- Estimate of knock-on effects (eg, Army Recuiters got 3 leads.)