way OT: Windows 98 DDK

Vaughn Treude plug-devel@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Wed Nov 24 20:49:02 2004

Hello all:

I hate to even bring up this subject in this group, but I'm pretty frustrated
- and I'm also complaining about Microsoft, which makes it slightly relevant.
  Here's the story- I happen to be working on an embedded project which
requires a PC-based configuration app (Windows, unfortunately.)  I have
Visual C++ which I know pretty well, but also need to support USB.  From my
research I understand that I need the Windows DDK to compile the USB code,
even though I'm using a standard HID class interface and I really only need a
couple of header files.  I spent a couple of hours googling on this, and
there are a lot of articles that say that the Windows 98 DDK is free from MS.
 Wrong!  MS doesn't officially support it anymore and it's now available only
to MSDN subscribers.  This really burns me up.  I don't do Windows all that
much any more (being primarily an embedded and Linux guy now) so I don't want
to waste $199 on an MSDN subscription.  But it really does not seem to be
available for free (or for a reasonable price) anywhere.  I did find a site
in Korea which claimed to have it, and I tried to download it several times,
but the download would always die after about a megabyte.  What I'm saying is
that I'm trying to be a mooch again.  Would anybody happen to have an old
Windows DDK CD they're not using any more?  Or is there some secret way a
person can download it?  Thanks and have a very happy Turkey Day!

Vaughn Treude