Announce: Devel Meeting, Thursday July 1st

Alan Dayley plug-devel@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Tue Jun 29 15:54:01 2004

What: PLUG Developer Meeting
When: Thursday, July 1, 2004 at 7:00 PM
Where: University of Advancing Technology (UAT)
       2625 W Baseline Road
       Tempe, AZ
       Room 208
Topic: SQLite

The PLUG Devel meeting will NOT be at Adtron this week.  Adtron is
suffering from post-movein settling and the meeting room still has
un-allocated cubicle parts.  We will be meeting at UAT (directions below).

Rob Wehrli offers an introduction to using SQLite on Linux in a KPresenter
presentation entitled: GNU/Linux Programming using SQLite

SQLite is a small C library that implements a self-contained, embeddable,
zero-configuration SQL database engine. Features include:

* ACID (Atomic, Consistent, Isolated, Durable) transactions.
* Zero-configuration - no setup or administration needed.
* Implements most of SQL92.
* A complete database is stored in a single disk file.
* Database files can be freely shared between machines with
  different byte orders.
* Supports databases up to 2 terabytes (2^41 bytes) in size.
* Small memory footprint: less than 30K lines of C code, less than 250KB
  code space (gcc on i486)
* Faster than other popular database engines for most common operations.
* Simple, easy to use API.
* TCL bindings included. Bindings for many other languages available
  separately.
* Well-commented source code with over 90% test coverage.
* Self-contained: no external dependencies.
* Sources are in the public domain. Use for any purpose.

The SQLite distribution comes with a standalone command-line access
program (sqlite) that can be used to administer an SQLite database and
which serves as an example of how to use the SQLite library.

Rob will:

Demonstrate building/installing the sources/binaries
Using the 'sqlite' command line application
Walk through a simple C language program that uses the SQLite API
Take questions from group members and attendees

Location:

Once again we have been offered a room at the University of Advancing
Technology (UAT). UAT is where we hold our InstallFests and is located at
2625 W Baseline in Tempe.  It is on the south side of Baseline road just
east of 48th Street or west of Fry's Electronics.  Look for a two story,
reddish brick building on the south side of the street.  Free parking is
around back.  We will be in room 208.  Wireless internet access is
available at no cost.

Alan