cross-platform c++ classes?

Trent Shipley plug-devel@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Mon May 21 10:52:39 2001

Let me see if I have this straight.

1) You are going to use a library that is already multiplatform.
2) The API is too complex.

> Because the GSD library is multiplatform, I want to create a set of "core
> classes" that are platform-neutral that will compile on the three
> supported
> platforms - Linux, Windows and SGI. This set of classes would handle the
> interfacing to the GSD library and do assorted things.

3) So you want a set of tools abstracting the API.
Z) This sounds like you want a "smart" wrapper for the API.
Y) C++ should be perfect for this.
5) It should be portable (without having to add lots of conditional macro
statments).
X) This suggests that you will need to write ANSI compliant code and use
ANSI capable compilers.

> From there
> I am also
> going to build a platform-specific subset of objects from those original
> classes -

7) Now that you have a convenient, platform neutral API you want to make it
platform aware.
W) Why do you want to do this crazy programmer person?