Learning kernel internals: compiling, modules, file systems

Matt Porter plug-devel@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Wed Jun 6 06:07:01 2001

On Wed, Jun 06, 2001 at 09:57:16AM -0500, Deepak Saxena wrote:
> On Jun 05 2001, at 23:55, Alan Dayley was caught saying:
> > BTW, we have purchased
> > -O'Reilly's "Running Linux" 2nd edition (should have held out for the 3rd)
> > -O'Reilly's "Linux Device Drivers"
> > -O'Reilly's "Linux in a Nutshell"
> > And, of course there is the sources
>
> - Also pick up "Understanind the Linux Kernel" by O'Reilley
> - www.linuxnewbies.org / #linuxnewbies on irc.openprojects.net
> - Read lwn.net's kernel write up every week
> - Read kernel threads every week (search for it on google)
> - Also, the linux scsi how-to I believe talks about how to access the
>   SCSI subsystem from user space and do things with it.

For code examples, look at cdrecord and the SANE project.

> > As a 4th reference question, what training courses would anyone recommend to
> > learn these same topics?  The boss likes either local or within a few hours
> > travel (LA, San Diego, San Jose, etc.).
>
> AFAIK, there really are no great driver classes at the moment.  Last I heard,
> the redhat classed was based on the Rubini book which is 2.2, but that's
> probably changed by now to a 2.4 based class.

MontaVista is now piloting a 2.4-based Linux driver class.

The second edition Rubini book (2.4-based) is supposed to be hitting
the printers soon.

--
Matt Porter
mmporter@home.com