Learning kernel internals: compiling, modules, file systems

Deepak Saxena plug-devel@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Tue Jun 5 05:33:01 2001

On Jun 05 2001, at 23:55, Alan Dayley was caught saying:
> BTW, we have purchased
> -O'Reilly's "Running Linux" 2nd edition (should have held out for the 3rd)
> -O'Reilly's "Linux Device Drivers"
> -O'Reilly's "Linux in a Nutshell"
> And, of course there is the sources

- Also pick up "Understanind the Linux Kernel" by O'Reilley
- www.linuxnewbies.org / #linuxnewbies on irc.openprojects.net
- Read lwn.net's kernel write up every week
- Read kernel threads every week (search for it on google)
- Also, the linux scsi how-to I believe talks about how to access the
  SCSI subsystem from user space and do things with it.

> As a 4th reference question, what training courses would anyone recommend to
> learn these same topics?  The boss likes either local or within a few hours
> travel (LA, San Diego, San Jose, etc.).

AFAIK, there really are no great driver classes at the moment.  Last I heard,
the redhat classed was based on the Rubini book which is 2.2, but that's
probably changed by now to a 2.4 based class.

~Deepak

--
Deepak Saxena - deepak@csociety.purdue.edu - phone://602.790.0500

MontaVista Software, Inc. - Powering the Embedded Revolution - www.mvista.com

To anyone who says I can't simply shut my brain off and enjoy the ride,
I say I don't understand how anyone can. To me, being asked not to think
about something in order to enjoy it automatically makes it suspect. I'm
entertained by things that make me think. It's all part of the same thing.
        - From a review of "Pearl Harbor" @ http://www.aintitcool.com