Meeting: PLUG Tonight (Kibana, Logstash, Elasticsearch)

PLUG Announcements plug-announce at lists.phxlinux.org
Thu Sep 12 08:53:33 MST 2013

Tonight's presentation:

Bio: Rashid is a data geek, a developer and a recovering operations
addict.  He's currently a developer at Elasticsearch. However, he spent
the last 10 years in operations writing tools to make his life
easier. Every now and then one of those tools is useful enough that he
should publish it.

Kibana is the thing he wrote to get around the fact that he couldn't
afford exorbitantly expensive commercial log analysis. he originally
wrote it to work with a fantastic log pipeline called Logstash, which
stores events in Elasticsearch.

Abstract: Rashid will talk about patterns for log shipping, the problems
in traditional centralized log storage, as well as issues with syslog
shipping overall. We'll explore the options in the open source space,
and define a stack that can be gradually merged into a legacy syslog
network, with further optimizations as we later spin down the legacy
redundant logging infrastructure.

PLUG will be meeting at 7pm at it's NEW-ish home.
See http://phxlinux.org/meetings/14-east-valley-meeting.html for map and
other info.

There will be a PLUG planning meeting at 6pm prior to the presentation.
  If you would like to help with PLUG please feel free to join us for that.

Desert Breeze Substation
251 North Desert Breeze Blvd
Chandler, AZ 85226

The Desert Breeze Substation is on Chandler Blvd and Desert Breeze
+Blvd, which is half way between McClintock and Rural.  It is very close
to both the south 202 and 101 freeways.  Public transportation is
available into the late hours.

To get to the room, just enter the door that faces Desert Breeze and
make your first left, you can't miss it, as it's the only place to go.

After the meeting, for those who are interested, we meet at BJ's
Restaurant & Brewhouse for good food and conversation.

BJs is located on the south side of the Chandler Fashion Center Mall at:
3155 W Chandler Blvd
Chandler, AZ 85226