Re: ChatGPT ...

Author: Rusty Carruth via PLUG-discuss
To: plug-discuss
CC: Rusty Carruth
Subject: Re: ChatGPT ...
Oops, you are correct, the uniq command should have -w 34 list.of.files
not -w list.of.files.  Sorry!  (here's what I'd typed and what I should
have cut/pasted:

root@rusty-MS-7851:/backups1/backup_system_v2# uniq -c -d -w 34
sorted.new_filesA.md5|less ; wc -l sorted.new_filesA.md5
42279 sorted.new_filesA.md5
root@rusty-MS-7851:/backups1/backup_system_v2# uniq -c -d -w 34
sorted.new_filesA.md5

sorry again!)

Also, if you want to get a list of files and their MD5 sums from 'higher
up' in the directory tree, just change the starting directory in your
find command to that higher up location. However, you might need to run
the entire find and md5sum sequence as root, if the directories (and
files) you care about don't have read permission for you.  (so, to find
ALL files everywhere on your computer, change the ~ to /. You'll
certainly get lots of permission denied errors if you do that as
yourself and not root. But starting at / will traverse ALL directories
on your computer, including /dev, and others you probably don't care
about.  There are some useful options to find (like, don't go to a
different filesystem) you might want to use, see man page for find to
find them ;-)