Re: 6 reasons you should use Ubuntu for your own NAS

Author: Rusty Carruth via PLUG-discuss
To: techlists, Main PLUG discussion list
CC: Rusty Carruth
Subject: Re: 6 reasons you should use Ubuntu for your own NAS

On 9/6/24 12:55, wrote:

> ...I seem to recall that at some point the bigger drivers would not
> work well with old hardware.  I hope that is not an issue.

The problem with 'large' drives is, as far as I remember,JUST with
booting - its a BIOS issue, and if you keep /boot (or equivalent) in the
lower <x> LBAs of the drive even an overly-large drive is ok.  (Once
Linux has loaded into RAM you're fine with just about any drive that
Linux can handle, if you set up your init files (in /boot) correctly
(that is to say, with the drivers you need to boot from the drive)).

The problem is that the BIOS drivers can only access the first... Oh I
don't remember the number off hand, but the address register for the LBA
(or C/H/S!) is only so big, so BIOS drivers can only read the 'lower'
part of the drive.

Since your boot drive is (probably) small enough, and even if not I'm
guessing the entire TruNAS filesystem can be made 'small enough', but
I'm guessing.