6 reasons you should use Ubuntu for your own NAS

Author: Keith Smith via PLUG-discuss
To: Main PLUG discussion list
CC: techlists
Subject: 6 reasons you should use Ubuntu for your own NAS
Hi,

I happened upon an article with the heading "6 reasons you should use
Ubuntu for your own NAS"

https://www.xda-developers.com/reasons-you-should-use-ubuntu-for-your-own-nas/

I could use a NAS immediately. I was holding off until I get some cash
flow.

This article got me thinking. It mentions SMB or NFS. I have not done
anything with SMB or NFS for years.

I would like something simple to share files locally between my wife and
I. Her computer runs Win 11 and I am on Kubuntu 24.04. I'm a PHP
developer and do some Linux (Ubuntu) for LAMP configurations. I am not
afraid of the command line and I am not near being a Sys admin.

I have a couple old Dells that can handle 2 hard drives each and I have
multiple 1TB HD's.

I'm thinking I can build a simple NAS using the parts I already have.

I'm not sure there is a benefit of using Linux with SMB and/or NFS other
than having more exposure to Ubuntu.

I'm thinking there might be an over the counter/Open Source NAS that
might be a long term solution where later maybe I can build a larger
NAS.

Any thoughts are much appreciated.

Keith