Re: what command should I issue?

+ (text/html)
Author: Michael via PLUG-discuss
To: Snyder, Alexander J
CC: Michael, Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: what command should I issue?
this is what the final product looks like. DO you recommend a change?

!/bin/bash

# Define source and destination
SOURCE="/home/bmike1/"
DESTINATION="/media/rsync/backup/"
LABEL="rsync" # Label of your drive

# Define rsync options
OPTIONS="-av --delete --exclude='*.lock' --exclude='google-chrome/'
--exclude='>

# Ensure the destination directory exists
if [ ! -d "$DESTINATION" ]; then
mkdir -p "$DESTINATION"
fi

# Mount the drive if it's not already mounted
if ! mountpoint -q "$DESTINATION"; then
echo "Mounting the drive..."
sudo mount -L "$LABEL" "$DESTINATION" || { echo "Failed to mount drive
with l>
fi

# Run rsync command
rsync $OPTIONS $SOURCE $DESTINATION

# Wait for user input before exiting
echo "Backup completed. Press any key to exit."
read -n 1 -s

On Sun, Aug 4, 2024 at 2:06 PM Michael <> wrote:

> thanks buddy. I got it worked through. sorry for the clutter.
>

> On Sun, Aug 4, 2024 at 1:48 PM Snyder, Alexander J <
> > wrote:
>
>> Well, I mean that'll get stuff sure -- but I'm not sure what you're
>> trying to do.
>>
>> Remember, ChatGPT will only point you in the right direction ... Like
>> you're sledding in winter, it'll point you towards the downhill side, but
>> it won't stop you from crashing ... You've got to bring SOMETHING to the
>> table.
>>
>> What is your goal? Tell me in plain English what you're trying to
>> accomplish and I can help you write a command, or script, to do that.
>>
>> Feel free to ping me directly, to keep the distro uncluttered.
>>
>> --
>> Thanks,
>> Alexander
>>
>> Sent from my Google Pixel 7 Pro
>>
>> On Sun, Aug 4, 2024, 10:25 Michael via PLUG-discuss <
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> I'm running around in circles with chat gpt. I want to backup
>>> /home/bmike1 user created data and all other pertinent files.
>>> This is what it tells me:
>>>
>>> #!/bin/bash
>>> # Define source and destination
>>> SOURCE="/home/bmike1/"
>>> DESTINATION="/media/rsync/backup/" # Define rsync options

--