Cat5/Router Issue

Author: Keith Smith via PLUG-discuss
To: Main PLUG discussion list
CC: techlists
Subject: Cat5/Router Issue
Hi,

You may recall I has an issue with Proxmox and trying to configure a
guest Ubuntu LAMP server. For some reason during the end of the install
Ubuntu would throw an error saying it could not reach the repositories.
I spent several days on that issue trying every solution on the net.
After 2 days I had to move on to other things.

Fast forward and I am in the process of configuring VirtualBox on an old
Win10 laptop. Yesterday I got to the point of configuring an Ubuntu
LAMP server.

I was thinking I would not be able to install the guest while the laptop
was using WIFI. I later learned that was false. So I took the cat5
that was plugged into the failed Proxmox box and plug it into my laptop
and converted to cable from WIFI.

I downloaded Ubuntu 24.04 and started the instillation process on
VirtualBox. I got the same error that I got from the Proxmox box. To
troubleshoot I configured the laptop to use WIFI. I then had a very
slow but successful install.

Interestingly I used this same cable plugged into the same router port
for another laptop that I setup as LAMP+BIND+Postfix+Dovecot web server,
with no known issues.

The web server is on my right and the ProxMox box is on the left of me.

I added the RJ45 cubes to the raw cable creating this cable. I did this
about 22 years ago.

Interesting find. Not sure it is the cable or the router.

This morning I am going to visit Walmart to obtain a new cable. Walmart
has rolls of cat5 of differing lengths with the RJ45 cubes already
installed. I think it is worth a try.

I would have never suspected my router or my cable.

All comments are very welcome!!

Keith