Re: OT Humidity, was time off

+ (text/html)
Author: Matthew Crews via PLUG-discuss
To: Main PLUG discussion list
CC: Matthew Crews
New-Topics: VERY OT, DO NOT READ THIS! (wind power, was Re: OT Humidity, was time off) Do not read, do not follow up! ;-)
Subject: Re: OT Humidity, was time off
On 6/20/24 6:16 AM, Ryan Petris via PLUG-discuss wrote:
>> And what are you guys going to do about the coming lack of water?
>
> It's all FUD. If anything, agricultural land uses more water than
> residential land, and agricultural land is what's getting converted to
> residential. So every acre converted means /less/ water use.
>
> I think they're making a big deal out of it to make sure we don't lose
> some water rights from the Colorado river, as California is trying to
> take a larger portion of it.

I disagree that it is FUD, but there is certainly a lot of blame to go
around.

The fact of the matter is, the Colorado River has been drying up due to
both over-consumption and drastically reduced snowmelt caused by global
heating, and it's affecting the entire region. One wet winter does not
magically undo a couple decades of drought (Lake Mead still isn't even
remotely close to pre-2000 levels). Just as significantly, other major
sources of water in the geographical area are also drying up (word is
that the Great Salt Lake will become the Great Salt Puddle, then the
Great Arsenic Flats, in less than a decade). Underground water tables
are being pumped like there's no tomorrow (similar to oil), with very
limited means of replenishing them. And did I mention that snowmelt over
the long term and rainfall over the long term are WAY lower than
historic norms?

Wreckless and wasteful water use by agriculture is a major problem, to
be sure, and certainly the low hanging fruit that we can attack. But to
say that agriculture should be taking the brunt of it, and not
addressing ALL sources of increased water consumption, is foolish. Maybe
the impact won't be as high, but it's still meaningful in aggregate.
Per-capita, Arizonans consume more water than most states, and we must
do better as a state.[1] And of course California, Nevada and Utah need
to do their part too.

1. https://mapazdashboard.arizona.edu/article/arizonas-water-use-sector

And depending who you ask, Phoenix (and Las Vegas) should not exist at
all! Having lived here my entire life, I'm starting to agree with that
sentimet.

PLUG-discuss mailing list: