Re: is there any way to fix this drive?

+ (text/html)
Author: Michael via PLUG-discuss
To: Main PLUG discussion list
CC: Michael
Subject: Re: is there any way to fix this drive?
(it didn't reply all and only got sent to one person)

... I forgot. I fixed my linux box. The ssd was not fully engaged
this is what smartctrl says (I thought I already did this):
Alex@alex-desktop:~$ sudo smartctl -a /dev/sdb1
smartctl 7.2 2020-12-30 r5155 [x86_64-linux-5.15.0-97-generic] (local build)
Copyright (C) 2002-20, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org

=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
Vendor:               USB
Product:              SanDisk 3.2Gen1
Revision:             1.00
Compliance:           SPC-4
User Capacity:        123,060,879,360 bytes [123 GB]
Logical block size:   512 bytes
Serial number:        040133ef27a16a2882a5
Device type:          disk
Local Time is:        Mon Jun 10 08:35:30 2024 EDT
SMART support is:     Available - device has SMART capability.
SMART support is:     Enabled
Temperature Warning:  Disabled or Not Supported

=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
SMART Health Status: OK
Current Drive Temperature:     0 C
Drive Trip Temperature:        0 C

Error Counter logging not supported

Device does not support Self Test logging
alex@alex-desktop:~$

AS for lsblk: it seems to indicate that the filesystem is M$.
--snip--
Model: USB SanDisk 3.2Gen1 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sdb: 123GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: gpt
Disk Flags:

Number  Start   End    Size   File system  Name  Flags
 1      1049kB  123GB  123GB  ntfs               msftdata

as for this:
alex@alex-desktop:~$ sudo mount /dev/sdb1 /home/alex/Desktop/sdc/
$MFTMirr does not match $MFT (record 0).
Failed to mount '/dev/sdb1': Input/output error
NTFS is either inconsistent, or there is a hardware fault, or it's a
SoftRAID/FakeRAID hardware. In the first case run chkdsk /f on Windows
then reboot into Windows twice. The usage of the /f parameter is very
important! If the device is a SoftRAID/FakeRAID then first activate
it and mount a different device under the /dev/mapper/ directory, (e.g.
/dev/mapper/nvidia_eahaabcc1). Please see the 'dmraid' documentation
for more details.

I've never fixed anything with windows so it is kinda scary! lol

> so how should I do it? just stick the drive into windows, open cmd, and
> type chkdsk /f ?

Well, I decided not to wait for an answer and it told me I need to be an
elevated user. Also, how would I run it on the flash drive? When I insert
the drive to find out what letter windows is assigning to the drive it
gives me the inert drive tone and then the disconnect drive tone and then
it repeats itself until I pull the drive.

On Mon, Jun 10, 2024 at 9:07 AM Keith Smith via PLUG-discuss <
> wrote:

> Must be a legal mind lurking around here -->> Prima facie
>

> On 2024-06-09 16:50, Arun Khan via PLUG-discuss wrote:
> > On Tue, May 28, 2024 at 9:58 AM Michael via PLUG-discuss
> > <> wrote:
> >

> > Prima facie, it looks like a corrupted file system v/s bad hardware.
> > Do you know what kind of filesystem it has?
> >
> > Also, as rusty has suggested, run *smarctl* on the disk and share its
> > output.
> >
> > --
> > Arun Khan