Re: AZ Developer Wages, per Feds

+ (text/html)
Author: David Schwartz via PLUG-discuss
To: PLUG-discuss
CC: David Schwartz
Subject: Re: AZ Developer Wages, per Feds
I’ve worked at plenty of places that are more like what you’re saying about FB, but they weren’t working on ISO 900x and CMMI certifications.

I was simply reflecting on the fact that we’ve got a lot of national Headquarters for companies here in the Phoenix area that ARE working on these certifications, and this has a certain depressing effect on wages when their goal is to make people in the same roles interchangeable. That’s what these efforts are all about — minimizing risk and reducing costs.

They’re turning programming into a far less creative endeavor. That requires a more mechanized approach and less variability among workers.

Maintenance programmers are simply required to take a bug ticket submitted with a documented way to reproduce the error and fix it without altering any other code.

-David Schwartz