Re: WordPress moving away from PHP to JavaScript

Author: David Schwartz via PLUG-discuss
To: Main PLUG discussion list
CC: David Schwartz
Subject: Re: WordPress moving away from PHP to JavaScript
Thanks, but I’ve never used Lazarus. It would probably take several hours to get familiar enough with it to do a presentation.

Surely there must be someone in Phoenix who can give a live presentation of Lazarus (or anywhere for a virtual presentation).

There are plenty of videos on YT and various other sites that show off Delphi’s features. Lazarus is a homegrown IDE that’s very similar to Delphi’s IDE, and it uses Free Pascal (FPC) as the compiler. Some vendors offer support for Lazarus — TMS has it for several of their products.

I’ve just never used it.

Besides, programming is more of the “mechanical side” of software deveopment to me. I’m far more interested in the architecture and design aspects — coming up with unique solutions to complex or novel problems.

I do have a presentation I made a few years back that I’ve updated recently that looks at problems that arise when outsourcing software. These are generic problems that apply to most non-trivial software projects, but are magnified when people think all you need to do is hire a “coder” on some job site to build your custom software. If there’s enough interest, I’d love to do that, get feedack on it, and see what kinds of questions and comments come up.

-David Schwartz