AWS S3 PHP SDK no longer viable - replace with restic???

Author: Keith Smith via PLUG-discuss
To: Main PLUG discussion list
CC: techlists
Subject: AWS S3 PHP SDK no longer viable - replace with restic???
I sent an email to the list that did not appear to make it.

===============
Subject : AWS S3 PHP SDK no longer viable.

Body :

Hi,

In 2017 I created a backup script using the AWS S3 PHP SDK that would
extract, tar, and upload to S3. Version 3 of the SDK does not work with
PHP version 8.x. There's some code on GitHub that will extent the SDK
to PHP version 8.03.... Yikes...

I like using S3 for backups...

A friend used to use PERL with S3, however he is saying it takes too
much maintenance.

The website I am backing up is a WordPress website on a VPS running
Ubuntu with Plesk on top of that.

This page : https://github.com/aws/aws-sdk-php/releases/tag/3.235.7 says
there is support for PHP 8.1 which is in security fix mode and will be
end of life in what looks like about about 8 months.

Any thoughts on this issue.

Thanks!!

Keith

===============

I've been in contact with my friend who owns a hosting company and he
says he has moved away from the AWS SDK and is now using restic.

I've taken a look at restic and it appears I will need to create a PHP
script that will tar files and data and run the restic command for
posting the tarballs to my S3 bucket. This script will be activated by
Cron.

Doing so does not seem to be very well documented.

Any thoughts are very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Keith