Re: What to know : Just Linux

Author: George Toft via PLUG-discuss
To: plug-discuss
CC: George Toft
Subject: Re: What to know : Just Linux
I would add read, understand and apply each step of the Linux Security
Benchmarks from the Center for Internet Security.  Each step has a
discussion as to why you should do it.

Regards,

George Toft

On 11/30/2023 7:39 PM, Keith Smith via PLUG-discuss wrote:
> That's Great!!  Thanks!!
>

> On 2023-11-30 17:07, Phil Waclawski via PLUG-discuss wrote:
>> I would add
>> 14) use tools like ps/top and others to find/monitor and if need be
>> kill processes
>> 15) etckeeper to manage configuration files in /etc
>> 16) software repo/package management (yum, apt, dnf etc)
>>
>> On Thu, Nov 30, 2023 at 4:13 PM Keith Smith via PLUG-discuss
>> <> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> This is the list I have come up with:
>>>
>>> 1) Install Linux and Configure with and DHCP or Static IP.
>>> 2) SSH Login.
>>> 3) Command Line Commands and how to use. (Maybe 60 commands).
>>> 4) Log Rotate.
>>> 5) Logs (read).
>>> 6) Cron : System and User.
>>> 7) Network Configuration (Box Only). DHCP/Static IP.
>>> 8) Permissions.
>>> 9) Ownership.
>>> 10) Manage Users.
>>> 11) Manage Processes.