Cyber Security

Author: Keith Smith via PLUG-discuss
To: Main PLUG discussion list
CC: techlists
Subject: Cyber Security
Hi,

I'm curious about cyber security.

I'm a PHP dev, and have some familiarity with Linux. I can do basic
virtualization using Proxmox and VirtualBox. I have both installed. I
cam build a LAMP stack. I configured a web server off my ISP network
using Ubuntu, Apache, MySQL, And PHP. I used and configured BIND9 for
DNS. And I was able to get Postfix and Dovecot working. I used Let's
Encrypt for SSL.

Having said all that I got lucky when configuring my home server. I did
learn though.

In the past I supported a shopping cart and went though the anal bank
security audit (payment card industry (pci) compliance). This required
penetration testing and proving all vulnerabilities were addressed. At
that time we were using CentOS and RedHat does back filling so I had to
prove all vulnerabilities had been back filled.

Ok so I have been reading and watching YouTube on the topic of cyber
security.

Here is what they are saying:

1) It can take as little as 3 months to learn the basics and to be
prepared for an entry level job.
2) Jobs are remote.
3) It is the most in demand job in the US.
4) Pay is very good.
5) Kali Linux is the distro of choice.
6) Use virtualization to protect your local network.
7) Linux skills are necessary.
8) SQL skills are necessary.
9) MS-Windows skills are necessary.
10) Python programming skills are necessary.
11) There is other things to know such as the command line and shell
scripting (I think they mentioned BASH).

It appears I already have some of these skills.

Even though it is the most in demand job in the US I do not hold my
breath. I am a PHP dev which is in high demand. I found the job market
to be hard to penetrate so I became a freelancer.

Of course I am not looking for a job, however cyber security really
interests me. Sounds like a fun job to have.

What are your thoughts?

Keith