Trouble logging in after cloning ssd

Author: Jim via PLUG-discuss
To: plug-discuss
CC: Jim
Subject: Trouble logging in after cloning ssd
I have a Dell Optiplex 7010 with 32GB RAM and kubuntu 22.04 installed on
it.  I used clonezilla to make a copy of a 240 GB SSD onto a 1TB SSD.
When I tried to boot from the copy, I got to the gui login screen.  I
gave it my password and pressed enter. Nothing happened.  I tried ctrl
alt f2 to get to the console and was able to log in there.  I went back
to the gui, but the screen was black with a mouse pointer which moved
with the mouse.  I pressed ctrl alt backspace which took me back to the
login screen.  I gave it my password and the gui screen stopped.  Like
the first time, the mouse pointer moved as I moved the mouse.  I
replaced the new ssd with the old one and everything booted normally.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on?

Thanks

Jim