Re: Server CPU

+ (text/html)
Author: Todd Cole via PLUG-discuss
To: Main PLUG discussion list
CC: Todd Cole
Subject: Re: Server CPU
I use a lot of proxmox servers and very happy with them most are for small
office use running a router, win server and samba file server and a win 10
for remote users to vpn into
most of the hardware is used dell 4-6th gen I-7 (cheap 4 cores 8 virtual)
with zfs raid 1 2 SSD's for redundancy and a spinner HDD for back up 32-64
gb ram and meet my needs
with ease. both at home and work.
I have used rack servers but they are hard to fit on a shelf, HOT and use a
lot of power and sound like a jet taking off. (I have a few to donate free)
my point is do not over think or spend money to build a home lab or
hardware that you will need to replace due to your use case.
I still have one on a duel core 8 gb ram 2 250GB spinning disks that I use
as a router and zoneminder camera DVR in a un air conditioned vacant office
it just chugs along in 118 heat
I have a twin to it that is all set up ready to run that I would be willing
donate also. Todd

On Thu, Jul 20, 2023 at 3:09 PM George Toft via PLUG-discuss <

Todd Cole
Ubuntu Arizona Team
2928 W El Caminito
Phoenix AZ 85051-3957