Ambient light networking

+ (text/html)
Author: Michael Butash via PLUG-discuss
To: PLUG Phoenix List
CC: Michael Butash
Subject: Ambient light networking
I saw this today, a rather neat concept that got me thinking of this as
rather cool and finally.

https://www.purelifi.com/products/light-antenna-one/

Your lighting is your wifi antenna, and modulates IR spectrums (like your
remote control) for data streams between access point "lights" and a
receptor client in, say your phone. I've seen some concepts over the
years, but I'm genuinely excited for this sort of thing as something
actually shipping and even an 802.11bb standard for it now.

There is already power-line networking
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power-line_communication>, imagine your home
power network (110/common/ground wires) as the backbone and bulbs are your
access points to your switched data network and Internet.

Cool stuff imho.

-mb