Re: Phoenix is emerging as the city of the future

Author: Steve Litt via PLUG-discuss
To: plug-discuss
CC: Steve Litt
Subject: Re: Phoenix is emerging as the city of the future
Keith Smith via PLUG-discuss said on Thu, 22 Jun 2023 13:52:06 -0700

>Yes water is an issue.

This was my first thought upon reading the subject of your post. This
is a huge challenge.

> And when I think of data centers in Phoenix
>during the summer... machines pumping out heat and A/C units needed to
>cool them down... all that electricity.

I don't see this as a problem. Put solar arrays over every single
square foot of the building. Benefits:

1. Gives you electricity to run your air conditioners and servers.

2. Blocks the roof from the sun, reducing cooling needs.

Arizona has ample sunlight and lacks the hurricanes and tornadoes that
make solar less attractive in Florida and Oklahoma.

>I understand there is some movement to solar A/C units, which on it's
>face seems like a solution...

Yep.

>In Chandler there is the Price Road Corridor which is set aside for
>tech companies. I'd estimate half the area is vacant. The tax payers
>votes to give tax dollars to companies willing to relocate workers
>here. The vote took place may 15 years ago so maybe the money is all
>used up.

Personally I wish cities and states would spend money to encourage
home-grown small businesses to expend, instead of squandering it on tax
advantages for big companies that might stick around for a few years
and then jump ship for a state that offers even more tax advantages.

>I'm a freelance PHP developer so I called the City and asked about the
>little guy. Was not on their radar.

Yes, and that really sux!

>With all this chip activity in Phoenix, it makes me wonder about what
>cottage industries are going to sprout out of all of this.

I'd sure like to operate a food truck outside the factories.

> Especially
>since there is resistance to returning to the office. AND I have read
>there is a trend towards using 1099's because they can be rented for
>just the period they are needed.

I've worked 1099 for more than half my life, and like it. Once
Obamacare kicked in in 2014, the health-insurance stumbling-block for
the self-employed mostly vanished.

>I personally would never want to work W2 with a boss and coworkers..

LOL, working self-employed I make half what an employee does, but I
don't have to jump through the hoops of a boss with half my
intelligence. If a customer becomes too argumentative, I just kick them
to the curb.

SteveT

Steve Litt